South Specific

Frank & Ruth's explorations of New Zealand!

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Monday Morning Train to Melbourne


The local commuter train is only a five-minute walk from my B & B, so early today (Dec 19th) I hopped on for the fifteen minute ride to beautiful downtown Melbourne. Like Sydney, Melbourne's skyline is a dramatic mix of the very old and the very new, like the Museum of the Moving Image shown above.

First I walked to the Art Gallery to view the permanent collection and admire the amazing stained glass ceiling and water wall in the entryway. Some good Impressionists in their collection.

Next, a VERY long walk through the Botanical Gardens where I saw native Australian plants well-used in traditional and modern designs, and bought a great book about the famous Aussie garden designer, Edna Walling. I had great intentions of going to both the Museum and the Aquarium as well, but my poor legs called a halt. I took the late afternoon train back to my little home away from home, which is all mine now that the family from Singapore (mother, father, grandmother--who harangued the poor husband mercilessly in high-pitched language every waking moment--and three little children) have gone off to Sydney. Blessed silence!

When I got back, Geza's Hungarian cleaning ladies were sanitizing the vacated suites, and kept coming to me with unidentifiable Asian food leftovers, saying 'You want? You like?' in a very kind effort to be helpful--but, no, thanks, I no want, I no like--I don't even know what that is!!

I decided to do a driving trip the next day to rest my weary legs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home