South Specific

Frank & Ruth's explorations of New Zealand!

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Aussie Animalia

Sunday, Dec 18th--After a wonderful sleep and a rejuvenating shower (great water pressure--heaven!), next morning I headed northeast to the Healesville Animal Sanctuary. Here, amid erratic drizzle, I viewed all manner of native fauna, including kangaroos, wallabees, wombats, Tasmanian devils, koalas, and my favourites, platypuses. The Sanctuary has built an extensive 'platypusary' (honest, that's what they call it!) to house several breeding pairs, and were the first in the world to successfully breed these funny little mammals in captivity. The legend of their creation says that a water rat fancied a duck for a wife, and when the babies hatched they had the duck's beak and webbed feet but the water rat's furry body, so neither the water rats nor the ducks would accept them. In shame, the little creatures dug out deep tunnels and have lived in them ever since--as platypuses! The viewing area has tunnel with an underwater view, so you can see these little cuties cavorting and playing. I really enjoyed watching them, and watching the various children watch them, too. Made me miss Alex and Leah!!

The koalas were cute, too, but hard to see because of the rain--they were all curled up together amid the leaves of the gum trees, looking cozier and drier than I was.

The other highlight of the Sanctuary was the birds of prey show, during which a hunky Aussie ranger showed us five large birds of prey ( a black kite, an owl, a buzzard, and a peregrine falcon) in free flight over the grandstand area. Several of these are very low flyers and some audience members got a new part in their hair courtesy of the birds! I got a good shot of 'Bernice the Bronze Crested Buzzard' just before she swooped over my head--here it is:




On the way back, I briefly visited a rose nursery which was also an alpaca farm. Alpacas are so cute! Amazingly long eyelashes and such sweet expressions. These two babies were very curious about me.

Grocery shopping and an early night--the previous day's drive caught up with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home